8.02.2011

Nightstand Transfomation

I have been busy working on some things around the house, but I wanted to stop in and share one of my projects that went (surprisingly!) without a hitch.

Since we are just starting out, we have a lot of hand me down furniture. I can count on one hand the number of furniture pieces that we actually bought new, so one of my goals this summer was to make all the hand me downs "go" with our house and our style.

One of the most beat up pieces of furniture that we have is a piece that Jacob used to use as a tv stand in college. It is now being used as a nightstand in our guest room (I think it's original purpose in life).

I have been dying to paint it for over a year and I got around to doing it this week.

So here is what the nightstand looked like before




It didn't match a single thing in our house and was in need of a little TLC.

I had most of the supplies in my garage since I had been planning on doing this for some time, but I believe I got everything at our local Lowes and/or Menards. For rags, I cut up one of J's nasty undershirts. (shhh! don't tell him)


I choose to paint the furniture in our guest room Rustoleum's Heirloom White and I really like how it turned out.

It was really easy and went much faster than I had anticipated.

I started off by wiping the nightstand down to make sure it was free from dirt and dust. I then took the shelf out and took off the hardware. Next I applied liquid sander and let it sit for the recommended 10-15 minutes. I choose to do liquid sander because A. it has worked for me in the past B. it's faster and C. it's much less labor intensive.

Next, came the primer. I went with the spray primer because it goes so much faster. While it dried, I went inside and watched something on my DVR. I'm sure it was housewives from somewhere or some other quality programing. Apparently whatever it was, was so thought provoking that I left my camera inside because this is the last in progress shot.


After the primer dried it was finally time to get some paint on this puppy. I know there is a small roller in the supplies picture, but I ended up using a brush to paint on 2 coats of heirloom white.

I also spray painted the knob on the drawer oil rubbed bronze.

After the paint fully dried I used a wipe on polyurethane to finish up. I let it dry for 24 hours before I brought the nightstand back in the house.

So without further ado, here's what the nightstand looks like now.








I know I should probably re-paint that lamp now.

Another item for the to-do list.

Linking up with:





HOG



The DIY Show Off












Tip Junkie handmade projects



2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Funny you said you should repaint the lamp because that was my first thought when I saw the pic. LOL. I think a fun pop of color would look awesome. I love what you did with the nightstand.

imklvr said...

Very nice job! There's something about the style? shape? something? of that night stand that I really like! It looks....tough....sturdy..ah, I dunno...I just like it!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com