6.28.2011

Cheap Thrills

Hi, my name is Kim and I am addicted to Goodwill. (I'm imagining you all saying "Hi Kim" in unison)

I think the reason I love it so much is because it gives me my shopping fix without spending loads of money. Plus it's way more exciting to find "treasures" than to just buy stuff off the shelf at any old store. (Not that I don't enjoy that too.) I just think it's fun to find things that have been thrown away by someone else, that just need a little TLC.

So let's get to the good stuff. Here are some recent find:


This picture makes it look like I'm hoarding candlesticks. I may or may not be. I got each of these candlesticks for between 1.00-1.99. They will all get a fresh coat of spray paint and probably be placed in threes. I know one set is going on the guest room dresser and the other set is still moving to different spots as you read this.


 I love lamp. This is more of an after picture, but I love how these lamps turned out! I forgot to take before pictures (bad blogger), but the top lamp was shiny brass and the bottom pair were a dark wood. All it took was a can of white spray paint and a couple of minutes and I got white lamps! I got each of them for less than $5. The pair lives in our bedroom which you can see here. The single lamp found its home in the guest room.


Ok, I don't know about you, but I HATE spending money on holiday decorations. So I try to look all year long for them. I usually have a rule that I will only buy them if they are the color of the week (half-off) or its a half-off Saturday. Typing that out loud makes me realize how cheap thrifty I can be.

Birds. I don't know why I thought I needed them, but I did. I had been searching for some that I liked  everywhere (not just GW) but these 2 I couldn't pass up for $1.99. They need painted, yes, but they will look good once I'm done with them. Promise. Currently they live on the console table in our living room on a tray.

One of my major projects for this summer is organizing all our closets and the pantry. I figured these baskets will come in handy. 

This right here. This is probably one of the finds I am most proud of. $12.00.

If you're still with me, here's how it went down:
I looked and looked and looked for a small dresser for the guest room, but all I could find were tall chests or giant dressers. A couple of Saturdays ago, the hubby and I were running errands on a tight schedule and I saw that it was a 50% off everything sale at Goodwill. Since we were on said tight schedule, J did not want to stop, but I begged and begged and he did. I ran in while he pouted waited in the car and sure enough there were 2 dressers that fit the bill. Fate? I think so.

So when I came back out with a receipt, J was less than thrilled because he knew what that meant. It meant we got to wait in the long line to pick the dresser up around back. Of course, then the dresser didn't fit in the car.

At this point, I think J was about to make me walk home, carrying the dresser. With my good looks and charm though, I convinced him we just had to tie the trunk down and drive carefully. It worked and we are still happily married.

Now I just need to decide: paint or stain? which color? how can I get J to help? Just kidding on the last one...kinda.

Linking up to



HOGPhotobucket


 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com